Sweet Potato Sloppy Joes
a healthy twist on an old family favorite
- 6-8 sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil (a drizzle works just fine)
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 2 zucchini (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped- about 1/2 cup)
- 1 onion (chopped- about 1/2 cup)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Bake sweet potatoes ahead of time.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Once the olive oil is shimmering, add minced garlic and heat until fragrant.
- Next, add chopped zucchini, onion, and green pepper. Saute until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add ground chicken and cook until meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve over baked sweet potatoes. Top with shredded cheese, sour cream (or plain greek yogurt), chives, etc. and enjoy!
Don't want to mess with baking sweet potatoes? The sloppy joe filling tastes amazing over a bag of cooked frozen sweet potato fries! We call them "sweet potato nachos".