homemade tortilla soup
- 3 qts chicken broth
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 1 cup white onion (chopped)
- 1 serrano pepper (stems & seeds removed)
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 10 oz. can Rotel
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 lb. chicken breast (cooked & shredded)
- corn tortillas (about 20)
- cooking spray
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat chicken broth in a large pot.
- Meanwhile, puree cilantro, garlic, onion, pepper, tomato sauce, Rotel, cumin, & chili powder in a food processor.
- Add pureed mixture to the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Next, reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 2 Tbsp. water & stir into soup mixture.
Air Fryer Tortilla Strips
- Thinly slice tortillas into strips (1-2 tortillas per serving).
- Place in the air fryer, spray with cooking oil, and generously salt.
- Cook at 370 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
- Place shredded chicken in a bowl and pour the soup mixture over top.
- Add tortilla strips & Monterey Jack Cheese to your liking.
Refrigerate leftovers OR freeze broth mixture for a later date.